Thursday, November 26, 2009

Buns & Thighs: Happy Thanksgiving!

Thursday November 26, 2009 - Buns & Thighs: Happy Thanksgiving!

Hello everyone! As the number of days between now and Christmas decrease and the inches of my waist increase, I am becoming highly aware of the, eh hem, effects of my pasta-bread-cheese diet. (“Thanks France”) Therefore Wednesday November 18th marked day one of my 30 Day Challenge. Perfect timing; I can start the foundational training for my triathlon! I really want to do one this summer when I get back to the states!

My plan: a) stretch and run 5 times a week, b) work out my arms, abs, and buns every day, and c) no pasta, bread, or cheese. Now, I KNOW that this last one sounds insane and ridiculous, but believe me, I have no problem avoiding those at all…it’s the dessert I can’t go a day without; it must have something to do with being an Irwin… Anyways, of course the wonderful mother that I have told me that I am perfectly fine the way I am and should only worry if I was going to ask her to mail me new pants! Well at this rate, I will need new pants by Christmas! Thus, the Challenge has begun! But, to be perfectly honest, I can’t complain…when I wake up early to run the only motivation I need is to remember WHERE I get to run! The little green patch right in front of the Eiffel Tower on this map is where I get to do my laps. Can’t complain, right? I get to run with a bunch of other Parisians who look oh-so-severe and intense and turbo and scary…today I just looked at the ground. Needless to say, it was my best run thus far! Ha!




For my French Civilization class, we visited the Musée Carnavalet on Saturday. It displayed the History of Paris through paintings, cartoons, figures, and artifacts. It was really interesting and we actually wanted to see everything! Ironically, there was this one painting that caught my eye. It was of this red-faced jolly looking man leaning over a huge casserole dish with wine at one elbow and bread at the other. I joked, “Oh look! It’s me!” Then, I just happened to come across this article online from the New York Times mentioning this very painting!

I also took many other pictures of pieces that I really liked…I think I might take all of my visiting American tourists here for a visit!


This one reminds me of pictures of my glamorous Granny:











So as you fill your happy tummies today (since it is Thanksgiving) eat an extra serving of sweet potatoes for me and get ready for my Mid-Summer 2010 Thanksgiving Celebration; it is my favorite holiday and I have MANY things to be thankful for after all…each one of you included!

Psaumes 139:1-18 (grâce à/thanks to Madame Driscoll)

Éternel! Tu me sondes et tu me connais, ²Tu sais quand je m’assieds et quand je me lève, tu pénètres de loin ma pensée; ³Tu sais quand je marche et quand je me couche, Et tu pénètres toutes mes voies. ⁴Car la parole n’est pas sur ma langue, que déjà, ô Éternel! Tu la connais entièrement. ⁵Tu m’entoures par derrière et par devant, et tu mets ta mains sur moi. ⁶Une science aussi merveilleuse est au-dessus de ma portée, Elle est trop élevée pour que je puisse la saisir. ⁷Où irais-je loin de ton esprit, et où fuirais-je loin de ta face ? ⁸Si je monte aux cieux, tu y es ; si je me couche au séjour des morts, t’y voilà. ⁹Si je prends les ailes de l’aurore, et que j’aille habiter a l’extrémité de la mer, ¹⁰là aussi ta main me conduira, et ta droite me saisira. ¹¹Si je dis: Au moins les ténèbres me couvriront, la nuit devient lumière autour de moi; ¹²même les ténèbres ne sont pas obscure pour toi, la nuit brille comme le jour, et les ténèbres comme la lumière. ¹³C’est toi qui as formé mes reins, qui m’as tissé dans le sein de ma mère. ¹⁴Je te loue de ce que je suis une créature si merveilleuse. Tes œuvres sont admirables, et mon âme le reconnait bien. ¹⁵Mon corps n’était point caché devant toi, lorsque j’ai été fait dans un lieu secret, tissé dans les profondeurs de la terre. ¹⁶Quand je n’étais qu’une masse informe, tes yeux me voyaient; et sur ton livre étaient tous inscrits les jours qui m’étaient destinés, avant qu’aucun d’eux existât. ¹⁷Que tes pensées, ô Dieu, me semblent impénétrables! Que le nombre en est grand! ¹⁸Si je les compte, elles sont plus nombreuses que les grains de sable. Je m’éveille, et je suis encore avec toi.

No comments:

Post a Comment