Monday, November 16, 2009

A Gray Day Full of Light

Sunday November 15, 2009 - Père Lachaise Cemetery - Notre Dame

Quite the picturesque Sunday afternoon! Today the skies were gray, the air was crisp, the leaves were falling and my favorite exploring partners were ready for a new adventure, so we headed to the Père Lachaise Cemetery. There are many famous figures buried there including Georges Seurat, Gertrude Stein, Guillaume Apollinaire, Honoré de Balzac, Frédéric Chopin, Moliere, Edith Piaf, Oscar Wilde, and of course Jim Morrison. The cemetery is massive and surprisingly beautiful, though you won’t find me there after dark…yikes!







We then headed to a café outside Notre Dame for a warm bite to eat. Now, I realized that I had never actually been inside the Notre Dame Cathedral as sad as that is… I highly recommend visiting on a Sunday evening about 5pm. The mass service is just starting but they still allow tours in the outer foyers of the cathedral. We basically got to stroll through at dusk when the huge chandeliers are lit up and the choir is singing. It was so impressively picturesque and peaceful. Take a look:


Look Mom, the famous rose windows!



Bonne soirée tout le monde!

1 comment:

  1. hey, we went to both of those places!!!! I loved the cementary, I could have walked around for hours and just took pictures. Course all the leaves where green. I saw that rose window also......

    ReplyDelete