Sunday, November 8, 2009

The American Church

Sunday November 8, 2009 - American Church in Paris: Feels Like Home

So enough about red meat, let’s talk food for the soul. As you know, I live in the 7th Arrondissement home to not only the Eiffel Tower and Parc du Champs de Mars but also the American Church in Paris. How “lucky” is that?! …Hmmm, I kind of think the Big Man Upstairs might have had something to do with it… The church is beautiful!! My whole Grace family would definitely appreciate it, and it is located on the Quai d’Orsay right on the Seine River. Location, location, location.


So I guess one might say that I should be going to a French church to fully immerse myself into the French language, but I can’t help it! It feels like home!! The first couple of weeks that I was here, I was in temporary housing (remember the hostel without internet and scummy bathrooms) and I didn’t get a chance to attend a church service during that time. When I moved into my apartment and realized how close I was to the American Church, I was thrilled. The funny part is, the first time I went I was actually freaked out that all these people were smiling at me. Oh wait, they’re Americans. Duh. But, I was surprised to see how quickly I adjusted to the French street culture of not smiling in public, ever. So of course being the old lady I am I adore the traditional service with the hymns backed up by a massive organ. There is a contemporary service on Sunday afternoons that I just tried today and loved it too! We sang all modern worship songs that I know all the words to. I don’t know; I think for me it’s something therapeutic to wake up on a Sunday morning and get ready for church. It reminds me of home and soothes my homesickness. It’s only a 15 minute walk, but I usually take my time to enjoy some solitude with my Father.

You can see more about the church and some photos on their website.
And PS, these photos were taken back in September...and it hasn't been quite that sunny since!

1 comment:

  1. I bet tht homesickness comes back when you realized you don't get to do tear down at the "American Church"

    Ps... IMHO, sunny is overrated. I

    ReplyDelete