Sunday, November 1, 2009

I'm American!

Saturday October 31, 2009 - I'm American.

Okay, so I know I should be blogging about La Rochelle….but first things first!! Last night, I had a CHEESEBURGER!!! Now, I know it’s a tall order to ask France to make a decent all-American cheeseburger and steak fries, but let me tell you it was a success! Over the past few days, my stomach and my head have been feeling a little woozy…I’m trying to find the balance between a student budget, French groceries and sufficient protein. No joke. I think I’m cured. I have never felt better than after creating my own Carl’s Jr. commercial in the middle of a nice French restaurant surrounded by distinguished French diners. Ahh, I LOVED it! I think it was a bit of my homesick bitterness mixed with some “take that, France” attitude.

Okay, so if a juicy burger doesn’t remind me of my Dad enough; my friend Luke shows up. He is a fellow CSU student from our group and he is a mathematics major. So just as a background note, he is majoring in math. Period. And he also just happens to enjoy the French language, “it’s just a matter of equating a list of letters and symbol formulas with one that is already known to you…” Now he is here in Paris taking ridiculously high-level math classes in French. Remind me never to complain again.


...Why they gave me salad? I haven't the slightest idea.

All that said, he thinks it’s hilarious that I completely understand his, um, mathematical way of thinking. It’s simply what is logical. Most efficient. And what makes sense; why anyone else would do it differently, is beyond me… Ring any bells? Spending 20 years in an artist-engineer combination household, I have developed a certain set of skills that have become quite useful. As Luke is telling me about his circa 1980-something 4x4 Pathfinder (replacing the engine and running it over 400,000 miles) and our mutual hatred towards unnecessary debt…I begin to think, hmm, I think I may have just met my Dad at age 25. Oh and did I forget to mention, he has a full ready-for-winter BEARD? This is just too much.

Joyeux Anniversaire to my Roomie and thanks Mom for the best hat in Paris, I'm obsessed!

Now off to Chocolate Chip pancakes at Breakfast in America...What can I say, I'm feeling patriotic.

1 comment:

  1. get that burrger girl! I love this post! Miss you so much! xoxo

    p.s. your bearded friend sounds just like someone I know!

    ReplyDelete