Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Beginning of the PLP

Tuesday September 1, 2009

Well, today is the first day of September and our second day of class. I can’t believe I have only been here just over a week…it feels like a month considering everything we have done so far!

My professor for my PLP course is Madame Michele Druon from CSUF. She is smart and fun and I think I will learn a lot from her…I better if I’m going to make it. Ha. We had to start a daily journal (written in French of course) of our daily impressions of life in Paris. Hmm, as most of you are aware I have had many impressions already. We were also supposed to buy the text and workbook yesterday after class; the professor simply told us the title and the appropriate metro stop to use. Easy enough. Well, upon exiting the metro we see the famous yellow awnings for the Gibert Jeune bookstore. 4th floor she said. Right. Um, I think this had to be the equivalent to back-to-school weekend here in Paris because this place was insane! We buy notebooks that are unusually large (apparently European) and journals to use before beginning our search for the class books. We finally manage to find the so-called 4th floor and no such grammar book can be found. Rema asks the employee person and he points out the window at more yellow awnings…Okay fine. Upon our ridiculous exit charging through of the entire population of Parisian mothers and their children, we cross the street to the correct Gibert Jeune. Wrong again! This is the mathematical and science Gibert Jeune absolutely not the French as a foreign language Gibert Jeune! (in a typical, you’re an idiot tone)...how I of all people ended up in the math and science store is beyond me…it’s across the other street under those yellow awnings. OMG, I’m starving by this point but Rema and I promised each other that we would NOT buy food because we had some at home…finally found the darn book and workbook after about 40 more minutes searching in yet another non-air-conditioned French-scented building, mind you, check out and go home.

Whew, needless to say, I ate lunch and took a long nap!

Strangely, I woke up in need of one of these: (taste JUST like my sister Hillary's macaroons!!)

Or these:


Okay fine, I didn’t eat them all but we are saving all our change to buy as much as we want for Christmas! Yes!


Today, we had more classes and homework…I actually found a roomie as dorky as me! We came straight home and did all our homework even before we were allowed to check our emails; we love school! And all French classes!? I’m in heaven!

PS we had an “only in Paris” moment the other day I forgot to inform you about. I’ve heard that Paris has the reputation for having the best dressed bums; well, consider it fact. We were sitting at a café eating lunch one day and this man approaches us with the usual Styrofoam cup, and Rema says under her breath, “He’s wearing a Gucci belt”. And, I’m fairly positive I saw an Armani label on his slacks. If this is how the bums dress, we decided we should be the ones asking for a euro or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment