Thursday, September 10, 2009

Le Musée d'Orsay

Friday September 4, 2009 - le Musée d'Orsay

Today we had an hour between class and our meeting time at the Musée d’Orsay. Perfect, plenty of time to run home, change shoes, eat a snack, and meet the group right? Wrong. We were under the impression that the museum was “soooo close to our house”. We decided to walk instead of taking the metro (bad idea #1). I decided to look extra cute while wearing my ankle boots with heels (bad idea #2). We decided to let Natalie use the map book, while wearing heels, while walking instead of riding the metro (very bad idea #3). Now don’t get me wrong, I have been extremely reliable with the map up until this point…running between apartment viewing appointments, various offices, Kodak shops etc… But naturally, when it counts, we’re 20 minutes late after our tiny detour around l'Hotel des Invalides (for those of you who don’t know is HUGE). Our group is already inside so we have to pay to get in, in spite of having already paid in our group activities fees back in June… great. Once inside, this building is AMAZING! It is a converted railway station that could no longer serve its original purpose due to the much longer trains that were eventually used.




So, my professor hands me a 5 page packet with questions about items in the museum. Think back to third grade when you had to go to some museum that no one cared about so you had to find all these random answers to random questions just to prove it was educational = It was awful. Surprise! I actually wanted to see the museum! Imagine: "How many trees are in So-and-So's painting 'blahblahblah'?" I decided that if I was going to enjoy this experience at all, it was going to have to be by myself. Translate: I like art and want to actually look at it as opposed to the, um, more colorful opinions of some of my classmates… As I maneuvered my way around this multi-level-need-my-Dad-for-directions-museum, there were some amazing pieces that I managed to take pictures of during my wild goose chase like these:


This is one of my most favorite paintings. To see such famous works of art was for me, slightly overwhelming. It honestly took my breath away and made me feel teary. I know, completely wimpy, but I called my Mom (wimpy again, I know!) and told her when she comes we totally have an excuse to cry together.
Claude Monet "Les Coquelicots" -Bad photo due to stubborn Russian tourist in my way, go figure.




So after the thoroughly disappointing and somewhat expensive homework assignment/museum visit, I have decided that I have to go back to actually enjoy it, but then again, I didn’t really need an excuse anyways.
...Hmmm, I wonder if I should have bought some of those purple Van Gogh Iris ties in the gift shop as souvenirs? Classy!

1 comment:

  1. Yep, we really liked the Orsay. I think it will be your Mom's favorite, that's my prediction

    ReplyDelete