Sunday, August 30, 2009

First Day in Our New Home

Sunday August 30, 2009

So for those of you who have hassled me about my blogging timeliness or groaned about the lack of photos, please feast your eyes upon my workspace up until now: the Youth Hostel hallway. Youth. Hostel. Hallway. Like on the way to the only toilet for 40 people.

Today, I slept in until noon and decided I must fulfill every french expectation to go across the street and purchase the daily baguette. Well, thanks to all of my "life in Paris/France" reading and research, I already know that I can't go in my sweats and I must dress to impress as not to insult the boulangère. After over-paying for a stick of bread because I still don't know my french numbers, I head back to mon petit appartement to enjoy my coffee and baguette breakfast. After Rema wakes up we decide to go for a walk. Now, this sounds fairly normal and perhaps uneventful but as we take a few steps and turn only a couple corners..."Oh the Eiffel Tower!" It strikes again; the Champs de Mars and the Eiffel Tower are literally 3 minutes away. I see the very bench I spent last Sunday on. This is so surreal!

After passing hundreds of tourists and one gypsy fight we continue our walk and pass this fuzzy mound of a building. I think it is a museum...we'll have to go and check it out!

The boats, here, over my shoulders are actually houseboats on the Seine! I have many serious questions. What is their address? How do they receive mail? Is it more expensive to live in a boat or an apartment in Paris? Does one have to have a special permit or just throw anchor? This is just odd.

This building is old with sculptures and statues all over, beautiful and most likely historic, I believe it is a museum, and apparently also a skate park. No joke.

So after walking along the Seine and exploring a few streets we head to Champs Elysées and the Arc de Triomphe. If you like my blouse you are not alone, I did in fact receive a thumbs-up from a elderly man passing by...let's just say I'm happy it was only a thumbs-up. No wonder women are so fond of the "menswear" look here, we are SO heading to the thrift store to re-do what we thought was a very Parisian wardrobe ASAP!

Later after returning home, Rema wandered onto the tiny courtyard just outside our window, hardly unnoticed. The creepiest voice you've ever heard calls down with a thick accent"this is not your private courtyard for only you to enjoy!" Now, when we moved in our landlord warned us about her. She described her as "disgruntled and unhappy with her life but that does not mean she can just be mean to people like that". Luckily, I am only recounting this tale, but Rema describes her as the small weird designer from the movie "The Incredibles"...But less talented and fabulous.

Tonight as we sit in our apartment, we look forward to our week ahead of french classes, baguettes and more french surprises!

1 comment:

  1. LOL. "like on the way to the toilet for 40 ppl." I love it! I remember folding that top. :) It is super cute. Old man = Creeepy. :/ You're going to have to buy some big tee shirts. :)

    ReplyDelete