Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day 2





*So, I am having some issues with uploading my pictures...it might by the my weak connection so you will have to use your wonderful imaginations until I figure it out!

Day 2 = Worn out!

Today I was in need of a pick me up so I decided to visit the Eiffel Tower a short walk away from my hotrel. I slept in, checked out of my hotel and was on my way. Since it was Sunday most of the shops are closed but the streets were still bustling. On my way I heard church bells and followed them to a cathedral maybe 400 years old, then saw the very same French macaroons that my sister created for my party! So perfect! As I wondered through tiny village streets I found another cathedral where there was a service being held. L’église de Saint Leon I believe. There were people inside singing hymns that I’m sure I recognized…it was a very reassuring and peaceful moment to behold.


It’s funny to explore little streets in Paris. One might be strolling along, unaware of their exact whereabouts and suddenly see the Eiffel Tower on the horizon over ancient apartment buildings and green trees. This is one of my favorite things about Paris… I remember going to Paris with Jess last summer; seeing it for the first time. We were walking along the Seine admiring a bridge, and suddenly, there it is! “Jess, guess what!? We’re in PARIS!” Happy memories for sure.
So I walk long through the Parc de Champs Des Mars and come to the conclusion that I should have brought my running shoes. Hundreds of French men in way too short shirts, French women in quite the variety of exercise attire are trotting and “hee-hooing” (like a women in labor) their way through crowds of tourists, children on scooters and merging traffic! Impressive indeed! Well, exhausted from all this physical exertion, I search out a nice bench in the shade to spend the morning reading and observing. This proves to be more difficult than expected. To find a non-half naked German boy bench or a non-pee smelly bench is a challenge at least…however, I manage to find “the one”. I spent a few hours here with the park before me and the tower behind before making my way back to the hotel to get my feels-heavier-than-ever luggage and treck across town to the arranged housing. By the way , check out this crazy skinny building.

After nearly collapsing of exhaustion and dehydration, I find the youth hostel place and check in. I’m assigned to a room on the 5th floor, no lift. As if I weren’t tired already. After catching my breath and a long drink of water from the huit a huit (french equilvant to 7/11 except only open 8-8 ha) we then meet with a staff member from MICEFA before heading out for dinner. Five other program girls and I went wandering, looking for a café. I am starving at this point; my daily intake thus far: apple, apple strawberry fruit leather, applesauce, and water. I’m hungry. (PS I promise to eat normally from now on, Mom) Anyways, we pick a place, don’t know what it was called, don’t care it, had a mean Croque Madame! And some Rose to share, we had a great time getting to know each other and realizing what a small world it is! Then we walked back through small pedestrian streets and pretty fountains galore.
Now back “home” for now, I took a door-less shower, very French I believe, unpacked my uber stuffed bags, took a Tylenol PM and am ready to drift off to sleep…


A Demain!

1 comment:

  1. Oh doorless showers, le Tour Eiffel and huit a huits. I miss Paris!

    ReplyDelete