Friday, August 28, 2009

Apartment Day! Thursday August 27

Apartment Day! Thursday August 27



*PS for my last blog I DO realize that Baton Rouge is a place in Louisiana and is not the Moulin Rouge which is indeed located in the Red Light District...I blame, um, jet lag? sigh.

So yesterday morning, Rema (a super nice girl from my group who I met and totally LOVE) and I had yet another apartment appointment to see a 25m² one bedroom apartment in the 7th arrondissement…it’s perfect! It is the 4th apartment that we have seen and we knew right away it was the one for us. It is on a very quiet and safe street with cafes and boulangeries nearby. We both agreed that it is better to live in a less exciting/safe area than an exciting/sketchy/scary area…

The one miniature bedroom has an IKEA style twin bed with a twin trundle pulled out underneath, a huge armoire, and lots of storage. In the living/dining/laundry/kitchenette room, there is a small pull out couch, pink tile counter tops, and window that looks out over a small moss-covered stone courtyard. In one of the kitchen cabinets, there is a washing machine; apparently, that is completely normal. The tiny bathroom has more pink tiles, a mini bathtub shower, and a baby sink. It feels somewhat like a playhouse…we get the keys tomorrow!

Tonight we went on the Bateau Mouche boat ride on the Seine. It was fun to see the different monuments from a different view and realize just how close our apartment is to, well, everything; the Eiffel Tower, le Musée d’Orsay, Parc du Champs de Mars, Champs-Elysées, Musée Rodin, Musée de l’Armée, Musée d’Art Moderne, le Trocadéro, the Seine, and l’Arc de Triomphe. The super cute little French announcer girl did both an English and French presentation. I’m sure she did great, but I only heard “shut up, shut up, shut up” from the stupid little kid behind me. Ha. Did you realize that the Eiffel Tower sparkles at night?! I saw this last summer, but it really blows me away to see it again. Our MICEFA leader said that they have to replace thousands of light bulbs everyday...Paris has the most interesting occupations: “Oh, me? I change light bulbs on the Eiffel Tower” or “That’s nothing. I febreeze the metro” –We DID see this in effect, however, these workers must always be on strike (very well possible) because the metro has every scent imaginable but febreeze, let me tell you!





Well, I have a bit of a confession. I made a mental promise not to do this, but have broken it a half a dozen times thus far: I eat at McDonald's. Now, let me explain. It’s not like it is back home, well, actually I don’t know that for sure I just never go in California…I mean why would I when I can get an El Pollo Loco skinless chicken breast for $1.65 instead? Anyways, everything is more expensive here including food so my default lunch of choice is now “un Petit Wrap” for 1€70. It’s fast, cheap and out of control delicious! …don’t judge me.

1 comment:

  1. Love the scarf tie. It's my new fav, thanks to Kari. :) ps You're so pretty. (And cool with your new Paris flat!)

    ReplyDelete