Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 1

Day 1

Hmm, Travel day. Always quite the experience to say the least! LAX went smoothly no problems there…then I board the plane. I am seated next to a very nice French man named Franck (more like Fronk…his fiancée lives in San Diego and he is a producer so he does a ton of flying). He proves to be a very valuable travel companion…he knows one of the stewardesses and so has VIP access to the Oreos in the back. He informs me of the “Air Tahiti runway show”; the staff changes outfits about 6 times throughout our flight, weird. A little while later, my new friend Franck is suddenly referring to something on my back, about ‘this big’ hand gesture (he has not needed to know the English word for ‘tear’ until he met me) Well, I reach around to find not just a hole, but a tear from the top of my shoulder blade down to my ribs, exposing my totally must-not-be-from-Southern-California white skin in a very unflattering way. Great. My mom was very nice to buy me a ‘first day of flight shirt’ instead of for school, but it didn’t exactly work out. I am then forced to keep my sweater (that I initially forgot) on in the hot stuffy airport, metro, and everywhere else unless I be further publically exposed. Lol.


I finally manage to get out of the airport and into Paris; it is so good to be back. …Then I get to my hotel to find a very small very terse French manager that informs me the internet is “a nettoyer” huh? That is the verb to clean?!? Anyways, it is about 11:30am, I’m exhausted but cannot check in till 2. Fine, I walk around and a very nice lady at a way nicer hotel than mine let me use the lobby computer to send a couple arrival emails. Yay!


Now, I am sitting and relaxing at a wonderfully typical French café on a busy corner in the 15th Arrondissement called La Petite Rotonde. I had un croustillant de chevre (basically a salad with a light dressing with French goat cheese inside crispy pastry shell things on top. OMG so yummy! I had to take a picture to share with you! I did try to read my next book, but I found people watching to be too distracting…dressed up madames walking miniature dogs, lots of kids, everyone carrying their groceries and daily baguette, a dozen near-accidents two feet from my table…

Is it two o’clock yet? I am in need of a nap!

2 comments:

  1. your story sounds stressful, but that salad looks amazing! :) Miss you already! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg! The Franck story is hilarious. "This Big..." :) How unfortunate though. :( I can't imagine having to go through all the travel maddness when you're HOT! Ugh. But of course, you handled it. :) Did you happen to bring a sewing kit along?

    The hotel manager. LOL Ohhh boy. :)

    Cafés are the saving grace as usual. I'm sure you enjoyed the 15th immensely and I cannot wait to chat!

    ps Hope you got that nap in.

    ReplyDelete