Monday, October 12, 2009

Sunday Afternoon

Sunday October 11, 2009 – Montmartre

So I realized that I’ve been here for going on two months and I still hadn’t visited Sacre Cœur and Montmartre… My tour guide was Trevor, my friend from San Diego. We took the funicular to the top of the hill to the Sacre Cœur cathedral.





Since it was Sunday, there were crowds of people everywhere enjoying the open market and some live music that included favorites like “Ticket to Ride” by the Beatles. One comforting thing about Paris, in spite of being so far away from home, is the music. I never go out without hearing a familiar tune that reminds me of sophomore year of high school or road trips trying to sleep in the Landcruiser back in the day. Oh speaking of Landcruisers, I actually see them quite often in a purely singular form: a tow truck. Since most European cars are so small the huge big rig tow trucks really aren’t necessary…they use a whole new form of beast below: (Photo dedicated to Dad and Doug, especially)


Anyways, Sacre Cœur was gorgeous and we found the most perfect Pride and Prejudice garden I have seen; I fell in love with it.


Speaking of love, we also saw The Wall of Love! See the “je t’aime” on the right side?


I’m not sure if I am correct, but there was an école des garçons or boy’s school nearby the funicular that had gates and stairways that looked identical to those in the movie the Red Balloon! That made me happy.


After traversing all of those stairs we were in definite need of a snack. What better place to enjoy a break than at Amélie’s café or le Café des Deux Moulins from the movie. We indulged in crème brulée and chocolat chaud! The group sitting in front us indulged as well, in a couple cups of coffee!




The Moulin Rouge, probably only presentable in daylight. On a Sunday afternoon.


PS I also found my dream home and the perfect bite to eat nearby!!


Who's with me?

1 comment: